Hope Street

This poem was written for our October poetry group at St Michael's Church. The theme I chose to follow for this month was 'hope'. I feel like I might need to hand in my Mancunian badge after writing this, but I have to say Liverpool is a favourite (not the *most* favourite, obvs...) city of mine, and I particularly love Hope Street itself!

I hope you enjoy reading it!


Hope Street

A road between cathedrals,

the crown and Roman pope.

A street that calls for unity;

a street that we call Hope.


The Latin bell and candle,

the Celtic knotted rope,

the Saxon Book of Common Prayer,

meet on the street of Hope.


A home for the philharmonic,

the performing artists' troop,

mix in the church and the medical institute:

The faith, art and science of Hope.


The city looks for union,

with solidarity in its scope.

It's great straight street signposts the way;

take the road called Hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Response to the Riots

On Unity and The Primates

National Poetry Day 2023