After the Storm

This poem was written for our monthly poetry group. The theme for this month was ‘After the Storm’. I hope you enjoy reading it!


After the Storm 

After the storm, we tried to clear everything up.

The branch I thought so sturdy had snapped clean off.

Turns out, it had died long ago. 

I did not know.

It smashed straight through the boundary fence; 

Left it splintered and gaping.

I will try to patch it up; nail on some MDF.

Cover the tear.


The beautiful coloured flowers in their beds are now ripped up.

Uprooted, leaving only the dirt they once covered behind.

And in their place, lie the contents of upturned bins;

Rubbish thrown away days and weeks ago, now needing to be dealt with again.

This time, more rotten, more filthy. Festering.


The air is supposed to be clearer now, isn't it?

The sky should be lighter.

It all feels heavier than ever before.

The pressure is too much to bear.


Despite it all, I'll stay on my hands and knees.

Mopping up the dirty rain water with yesterday's used tea towels,

Battling against the aftermath.

I will make it right again.

I will try.


After all, I have to believe it will be just like the song says.

I have to believe it:

Tomorrow, there'll be sun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Listening?

National Poetry Day 2023

The Body of Christ