Little Wins

This poem was written for our May monthly poetry group. The theme for this poem was 'little things'. I hope you enjoy it!


Little Wins


When I've no time to park, and there's one perfect space, 

When the first hints of summer shine warm on my face,

When I find a tenner in my trouser back pocket, 

When I'm sipping a whisky and eating dark chocolate, 

When the fresh shoots of a plant appear in the pot,

When the beer is ice-cold but the company's not,

When the last call of the day ends, a half hour to spare,

When I can sit listening to music with a cat in my chair,

When I'm watching the sun sinking into the sea, 

When we've not booked at the restaurant, but there's one table free, 

When I finally solve a longstanding bug,

When I make a fresh brew in my favourite mug, 

When the takeaway driver knocks at my door,

When I still fit the shorts I bought the summer before, 

When the last piece of the jigsaw fits right into place,

When someone reminds me of mercy and grace, 

When I've got a new gadget that does just what I want,

When I have a hot chocolate, and an almond croissant,

When I'm fully prepared for tomorrow's big meeting,

When I beat the family at Scrabble, and haven't been cheating,

When I have carefully crafted the right words to say,

When I've been for a run and I've managed 5K,

When the keyboard part plays Dire Straits' "Walk of Life", 

When I'm on a date night, just me and my wife, 

When they release the next episode of my new favourite show,

When we're going on holiday, and we're all ready to go,

When I wake early on Sunday, and can just lie in bed,

When I was out late last night, but I have a clear head,

When my favourite song is played on the radio, 

When the toast pops in time with the beat on the stereo,

When my kids ask for my help, and allow me to show them,

When I've finally written and finished this poem!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Response to the Riots

On Unity and The Primates

National Poetry Day 2023