Migrants, Welcome Home

I often see posts on Facebook trying to flood the site with music, or superheroes. There's one doing the rounds at the moment asking people to post 'then' and 'now' photos of their relationship. They're all fun, but I think, at the moment, Facebook in the UK probably needs to be flooded with something different.

There's a tide of racism sweeping the country, with some people thinking the Brexit vote legitimises the voicing of torrid, vicious, nasty views. I hope it's just the media publicising these things more widely at the moment. I fear it is not. Even so, if these views are *not* being expressed with more force, volume and frequency at the moment, they *are* still being expressed, and that scares me - *especially* so if this is normal (or the 'new' normal).

I believe that staying silent whilst this is happening is to be complicit. If I do not speak out, how can I expect others to do so? If no-one speaks out, then there is no challenge to this stream of bile, and it will engulf us.

Racism needs calling out, or it grows.

To my friends of other faiths and nationalities living in the UK, born here, or abroad, I want you to know, that I do not believe this is *my* country. I believe it is *ours* - yours *and* mine, and I value your contribution to it. You make it a better, more friendly, more loving place. I don't want you to go home; you *are* home. 

want minorities to feel safe in our country, and I want to do what I can to counter the racist views and images I have seen over the past few days.

I have seen some foul graffiti. I'm no artist by any means, and this is my only wall to adorn, but this is an attempt to put into view an image in my head. Immigrants, and children and grandchildren of immigrants, *welcome* home. In true British style, the kettle's just boiled; let me get you a brew.




If you like what I have written, please share it (very easy and quick to do), or copy and paste it (still pretty simple), or rewrite it (a bit harder). Credit it as your own if you like, and steal the image if you think it's any good. I'm not precious about this, I'd just like to see an anti-racist trend of hope on Facebook. Thank you for reading this far!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

National Poetry Day 2023

The Body of Christ

Are You Listening?